Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Student Charged With Manslaughter in Bronx School Stabbing

18 October 2017 10:37 PM
44 0
Student Charged With Manslaughter in Bronx School Stabbing

The 18-year-old student accused of killing his classmate inside of a Bronx high school last month was indicted Tuesday on a first-degree manslaughter charge, officials said.

Prosecutors initially charged that student, Abel Cedeno, with murder, after the police said he used a knife that he had purchased on Amazon to kill Matthew McCree, 15, and seriously injure Ariane Laboy, 16, on Sept. 27. But a grand jury returned the lesser charge on Tuesday.

Mr. Cedeno, a student at the Urban Assembly School for Wildlife Conservation, told the police that he had been bullied about his perceived sexual orientation, though Mr. McCree and Mr. Laboy had never been in contact with him before that day, the police said.

Patrice O’Shaughnessy, a spokeswoman for the Bronx district attorney’s office, said a grand jury is still considering other charges.

Mr. McCree’s death was the first inside of a New York City public school classroom in two decades, and it renewed the discussion around unaddressed bullying and the potential for violence.

Source: nytimes.com

Share in social networks:

Comments - 0